At Millfields First School we believe in educating the ‘whole child’ and aim to offer a wide range of activities which enable children to develop socially and emotionally, as well as academically.
Friendly Friday takes place each Friday afternoon. Children across the school, from Reception pupils in Acorns Class to Year 4 pupils in Oak and Hazel Class, have the opportunity to learn and socialise with children of other ages.
Teaching staff offer activities such as ‘Galaxy Quest, ‘Card Making’, ‘Science Fun!’ and Playleader Training, which the children then choose to participate in for the half term. This gives children the chance to consolidate a new skill and to also build new relationships with other pupils from different year groups.
We have found Friendly Friday to be highly successful and motivating. Children are confident when conversing with staff and pupils of all ages in a wide range of situations. They also develop in independence, taking responsibility for their learning, making choices that will interest and engage them.
This term the activities to choose from are:
- Cosmic Kids Yoga with Miss Hughes
- Friendship with Mrs Coles
- Natural Art with Miss Hoult
- Community links (Chadsgrove Special School/Waitrose and John Lewis Partnership) with Mrs Worrall
- Circle Games with Miss Cullin
- Sketching with Mr Parker
- Crazy Construction with Mrs Brookes
- How to make a chair from newspaper! with Mrs Watkins
- Roald Dahl with Miss Smith
- Glee Club with Miss Freeman